Sunday 17 January 2010

MGFs

As significant as it may be to my life at the moment, my running seems to be less central to that of the rest of you. I wonder why. Still, one should pay tribute to their MGFs (My Good Friends). Each of you providing the immense moral support which keeps one going (I just love talking about myself in the royal "we"). Each of you in your own special way.

Take MGF A. Whilst he has the figure of an Ethiopian marathon runner, the truth is, last time he ran was after the C11 bus. He missed it. Yet, against all odds, he joined me for my run today. Being the man that he is, he led the way up the hills and down the swamp-like lawns. In all honesty, Shrek would have felt completely at home. Moreover, half way through, and rather nonchalantly, he mentions (imagine me breathless, unable to utter a word): "oh, I'm getting married next month". What a way to break the news.

A different, yet equally touching, manifestation of support, came from MGF S, encouraging MBH "Be supportive. Be supportive". You should imagine S reclining in her leather armchair with a glass of champagne in her hand. Imagine also a bowl of strawberries and a copy of Zoe Heller's The Believers. Finally, to complete the picture, imagine an Alicia Keys CD in the background. I guess she would probably like to imagine all this too. She probably does. With the 3 little ones running around the house it might be difficult. And still. It is the former vision of S that comes to mind.

So, for all of you MGFs, many many thanks for the continued support. With 6.5% of the job done, I am more than likely to need it.

J

1 comment:

  1. I thought that as a proud user of a pair of MBT shoes (Massai Barefoot Technology) I would be in better shape - looking and feeling Ethiopian. Metalizing the illusive C11 helped to keep the pace up but after about 15 minutes of running and me thinking that I might actually make it, my knee decided to pack it in and remind me that running is actually a very painful form of exercise. Limping along I made my way down Parliament Hill where I continued home leaving the runner to go back and run all the way home!! It did make me realized how big a challenge this one is! Hopefully I can try to work some minimal level of endurance so I can join some more parts of the Via Dolorosa in the future and provide some more support.

    ReplyDelete