Wednesday 10 November 2010

The-worse-is-behind-me

10 days in and 41 to go. The 51 days from the day we turned the clocks back from BST to GMT to the shortest day of the year. Always the most difficult time of the year for me. I don't mind coming back home at night - I do most days - but I hate leaving home when it is still dark. Hate it.

So, here is the question: how come is it that it is these 51 days rather than the shortest 51 days of the year that I find so difficult? The 20th of December should feel similar to the 22nd - they are equally short days, are they not? Clearly. And, super-extra-clearly, how can the 1st of November be worse than the 22nd of December, which is almost 2 hours shorter? Makes no sense. Indeed. It makes no sense. And still, that's how I feel about it. You see, I am a "the-worse-is-behind-me" sort of guy. I am in most things. For example, running; the first half is always more difficult than the second, even though the body should be more tired having run half the way already.

Same goes with the Great Recession. By no means are things getting easier. The longer it lasts the more will all of us be eating into our reserves. Many of us to breaking point. At the same time I think the likelihood of failure of one of the large economies is much smaller. The big bank-collapses are hopefully behind us. By God, even Ford Motor Company made a profit last quarter.

So, I can end this post with an optimistic note. Whilst it is still 41 days before the days start getting longer, we are more likely to afford candles for Hanuka and turkey for Christmas.

PS 905km down. 95km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment