Monday 16 August 2010

A question of identity

A while back I wrote about the multiple ways one identifies oneself; a father, a football fan, an employee etc. From the perspective of national identity I always saw myself as an Israeli living in the UK. Coming back from holiday in Israel I realised the concept of Israeli identity has evolved in the last few years.

The biggest change, in my opinion, is the gradually apparently-prevailing view that to be Jewish is a national rather than a religious concept; more like being French or Italian rather than Christian or Buddhist. Also national rather than a political definition, like being an Irish American or a Pakistani who is a British citizen. This allows a political definition of 'Israeli' which is inclusive of Israel's Arab citizens who are 20% of the population. Moreover, it makes the definition of Israel as a Jewish, Democratic country acceptable to more people. This way Israel is Jewish in the sense that it is the home of the nation of Jews, like France is the home of the French people.

Obviously, this topic is way more complex and I have very little, if anything, to add to the discussion in terms of the appropriateness of the definitions. The only thing I kept asking myself whilst running was: "how do I see myself?"

I am an Israeli - I grew up in Israel and it shaped much of who I am. There is an entire Israeli community in London which is distinct from the British Jewish community. Yet, I have very little in common with most Israelis living here and count just a couple as friends. Still, I am member of the Jewish people. I am Jewish in terms of religious definition, yet I am a secular Jew - I celebrate the Jewish holidays but am, at the same time, an atheist.

Confusing for you? Just imagine how much worse it is for me.

PS 685km down. 315km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment