Monday 16 August 2010

Dress code

Part 2 - So, as mentioned in Part 1, Israel is a place struggling with the weight of its own history. And yet, surprisingly, not all the thoughts occupying my (puny little) mind during my runs were as weighty. Some of them clearly not worthy of your precious time. For example, the acceptability or not of a specific item of clothing. Namely, the Hot Pants (HPs).

You see, I have never seen a person (and by person I mean a woman, I would not, naturally notice a man) wearing HPs in real life. Only in music videos. Obviously, Kylie's golden HPs. More often though, the hoes in hip-hop videos.

So imagine my surprise when I took the kids to the highbrow Tel-Aviv Museum and a photographer visitor, making genuine efforts to capture the displays from all (and I mean all) angles, was wearing a pair of HPs too small to fit over MLOs (My Little One) nappy.

Not necessarily the most obvious dress code in the UK. At the same time, I guess that when one is bearing the weight of history any additional weight, if only of a pair of trousers, is a bit too much.

PS As of August 5th, 645km down. 355km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment