Sunday 9 May 2010

Coming of age

MFBD was away this week for 3 whole days. She is my oldest but still, she is my little girl. Very odd feeling it was. Seriously. The house felt empty without her. You see, it was the first time she's been away for so long. And not only could we not see her, we couldn't even talk with her. No mobile or anything. Obviously, it was tough on me. But what about her?

My friend L, whose daughter was also on the trip said: "I cannot put my finger on it, but she is 1% different". You see, MFBD is insisting she had a great time and yet it sure doesn't feel that way. She seems emotionally overwhelmed. And so, we hear, are her friends. They are not divulging much detail about their experience. As if they are part of a secret society. And in a way, I guess they are. The society of young people with its own unwritten rules. Being away is good. Telling your parents what you did with your friends is bad.

By entering this secret society she is coming of age. And as hard as it may be, for her and for me, I recon it's my role as dad to help her through it.

PS A disappointing week - first time I did not do my 20km quota. Only 15km. Promise to make up for it tomorrow. 395km down. 605k to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment