Sunday 10 October 2010

The Factor

Last weekend MBH and I pretended we are still young and vivacious. We got the sitter over and went to sample the new, extra-cool, tapas bar in Exmouth market. Think Barrafina just without the pretensions of Soho. Pretending to be young and vivacious we called MGF S&M (don't let the initials fool you) and suggested they joined us.

Now, if it were me, I'd jump at the opportunity. Did I mention I was pretending I am young and vivacious? Naturally I thought S&M would do the same. The only hurdle I thought they might face is the availability of their baby-sitter. Not much of a hurdle in their case as she - the sitter - is not much older than S&M's kids, lives next door and is a social pariah. Imagine my surprise when they turned us down. Slam, bam, in-your-face turn-down. I wasn't surprised. I was shocked.

You see, S said: "we are watching the X-Factor with the kids, there is no way we'd miss it!" "You prefer the X-Factor to going out with us?" I said. "Will it make a difference if I pull my trousers up like Simon Cowell?" I really, really, didn't get it.

Until yesterday. Watched the X-F with the kids and it was, I have to admit, as much as I hate to, great. Genuinely.

And still S&M, if ever you call inviting us to join you for a night out I promise, assuming the sitter is available, we will not let you down. Even is Simon Cowell is on TV.

PS 830km down. 170km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment