Sunday 4 July 2010

It's the sofa, not me

The first thing I bought when we moved to our place almost 9 years ago was a sofa. You see, I never had a proper one. Not any old couch will do, you see. A proper sofa needs to do three things really well. First, it has to look good, that is, it has to have somewhat unusual proportions. Second, and most importantly, is must be the comfiest thing in the house. And, third, it has to do the first two without fuss. No white leather here.

The most surprising thing was, I found one. Admittedly, it is the most expensive thing in the house, but still it doesn't show it. Its secret is its depth. Anyone shorter than Karim Abdul-Jaabar simply cannot just sit on it. No way you can have your back to the back, your knees nicely folded in a right angle and your feet on the ground. For that you need thighs like a T-Rex's. So, any normal person just has to recline or even lay in it. And when you do, you simply sink in. Admittedly, it is difficult to get up. But who'd want to.

So, when you buy a sofa that acts like a Rafflesia (in case you didn't know, that's an insect eating flower), I wasn't surprised that a fair share of my friends fall asleep on it. We'd have a nice dinner, a couple of bottles of wine and after a long working week, who could blame them once they sunk in. In a way, I took it as a compliment. Let's admit it; there is no way I'd feel comfy enough to fall asleep in someone else's house. If they can, they must be feeling rather cosy, I thought. And by them, I mostly mean MGF S.

So, MGF A&S were over for footie & grub Friday. By the warm hug I got from A, I knew she read my post from a couple of weeks back. A bit over-compensating, but definitely no mention of the Titanic this time. As usual, we had dinner & a bit f wine and sat down to watch the Uruguay Ghana match and, guess what, MGF S was up and alert as one can be. True, there was a bit of drama, but not once did S nod off. Nothing!

So, there is no escaping the following conclusion: the reason MGFs fall asleep has more to do with the host than the sofa. How depressing.

PS 555km down. 445km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment