Monday 12 July 2010

Destined to disappoint!

Last week I wrote about the upcoming World Cup Final betwixt Spain and Holland (MBH insistsed on ye olde English). My point was that whilst the Final is often a major disappointment, this time it will be different. Total Football meeting Tiki-Taka - the Spanish one-touch football in which the ball is darted from one player to the next pinball-like - can only be spectacular. "It will be 2:2 by the end of normal time, then Spain will win it in Extra time. I foresee 5 goals" I told my brother. Shows you how much I know.

Total Football? Total disgrace! Now, to clarify I love the Oranje (not a spelling mistake btw). They would rather lose the 1974 & 1978 finals than sacrifice their beautiful game. No longer. They had what football strategists would call a "pragmatic game plan"; a football pundit's terminology for "they are much better than us in football so we'll kick them as hard as we possibly can hoping they will rather go home to their mums than keep playing". Luckily, for them and the rest of the football-loving world, "they" - the Spanish team - didn't.

PS 575km down. 425km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment