Sunday 28 February 2010

The Roundhouse

It was MGF G's birthday yesterday. For those of you who don't know him, he is the world record holder for work/life balancing. His LW (Lovely Wife) V got us all tickets to the Roundhouse to see the NOISEttes in their first major London concert. I do apologise for the excessive use of capital letters. For those of you wondering, MGF S, apparently it is to ensure we understand they are more about noise than hazelnuts.

Now, I don't know about you, but I, myself, am old. Last time I was in a proper gig of a young group was 1983 when the Smiths burst onto the scene. For those of you, MBH, who are quite strict about the use of poetic licences and would remind me that back then I was 15, in Jerusalem and couldn't point Manchester on the map: that's not the point. Apologies for the rant. Anyway, it was a while back. I was young and honestly believed I was hip. I wasn't.

So, going to a proper, standing-only gig was a bit daunting. In my ripe old age I realise I am not hip. And still, there is a limit to how much I would like everyone else to realise that. And yes, this thought does imply that there is still a long way to go in terms of self awareness; as if anyone else would notice me; they didn't.

It was great. The moment Shingai Shoniwa - the lead singer - appeared above our heads and sang a smooth R&B piece as if especially for MGF G was magic. Somehow, I didn't feel my age. In a way, it made me feel younger.

J

PS And for those of you who are interested in statistics, Nick P, 180km, or 18% done. This means that I am 21.10km (or 2.11%) ahead of schedule assuming an average of 2.74km per day over the year.

1 comment:

  1. you ARE hip... jive talkin'!
    GB (great blog) btw -
    xs

    ReplyDelete