Sunday 21 February 2010

Constructive criticism

As you are most likely aware, I am a foreigner here. Have been in the UK for 13 years now, but still. Don't think I ever will be a true Brit. You see, I come from Israel and, as surprising as it may be, there appear to be some cultural differences between the two nations.

Now, you must be thinking I am going down the stand-up-comedian national stereotyping route for a few cheap laughs. In all honesty, I probably would, if only I were funny enough. No, I am facing a genuine cultural conundrum. You see, I seem to be on a collision path with a PA (Professional Acquaintance). In Israel, these sort of situations are handled swiftly and effectively through constructive criticism. I'd come over to my PA tell them they are complete idiots and that if they don't get their act together I'd send a hit squad after them. And, by "tell" I mean yell. And by "yell" I mean I'd be standing 2" from their face, my spit leaving craters in their cheekbones.

In the UK constructive criticism is what in Israel would be termed 'compliments'. "I believe we can get to 100% if we make a final effort", which in Israel would mean "you must be a genius" would be taken in the UK as grave criticism for not giving 110%. And, did you notice the "we". It is never "your fault". In the UK we share the blame even if we had nothing to do with it. Or perhaps, we are at fault for not ensuring that "we" didn't fail.

So, taking all of the above into account, I spent my run today thinking about how I can administer criticism that will actually be deemed constructive. Went for the coaching approach, clearly stating my intentions are genuine. Have no idea how it will go down. In all likelihood my PA will never speak to me again. Will keep you posted.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment