Friday 24 September 2010

The upgrade

I have never, ever, been upgraded. Never went to check in in an airport and heard the words we are all longing for: "Great news Sir, you've been upgraded". On the contrary. More than once (actually once, but 'more than once' sounds better) I went to the check-in and asked for an upgrade only to be turned down whilst the person behind me in the queue was offered one. Not sure how you'd take it. I took it personally. Very personally. I must smell. Badly.

As you'd expect, I wasn't really looking forward to 11.5 hours on the way to SF and 11 hours on the way back, in coach. It wouldn't matter if the plane was half empty, I knew I would not get an upgrade. Not to mention that I was going, with another 50,000 people to Oracle's annual conference. All seats, on all flights, on all airlines have been booked for months.

So, imagine my surprise when I got an upgrade. Both ways. To Upper Class. Sorry, but this genuinely deserves exclamation marks!!!!! Thank you Mr Branson and many many thanks MGF D for the air-miles. Genuinely. Could be worse.


PS 775km down. 225km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment