Sunday 12 September 2010

What a ride

I am too old for this. But it's fun. Giving it my all. Going absolutely as fast as I possibly can. Only two wheels under me. Wind flowing through my hair. No helmet. Every slight change of balance, every shift, can result in a swivel. Going at this speed a swivel is not as benign as it sounds. Glad the road is clear. No cars or pedestrians. Still, going this fast in a residential area is a bit of a risk.

Then, suddenly, an elderly woman steps down from the pavement. Her Scottie dog on a leash. To my surprise, she let's go of the leash and the dog is there, right in front of me. If I carry on as I am, I'd be going straight at it. I reach for the brake. I miss it. My foot hits the road and I lose my balance. Up in the air and, not so elegantly, I hit the road. Hard. Hands first, shoulder and chin second. Good thing I wore my thickest pair of jeans. Knees are in one piece.

I get up. Soar. Pick my daughter's scooter and return, head down, embarrassed, to my kids who are waiting all but 20 meters up the road.

PS 760km down. 240km to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment