Saturday 3 April 2010

Road rage

Had a revelation during my run today - one can experience road rage even when not driving!

Now I don't know about you, but I consider myself a rather relaxed, composed individual. I would like to think - and my loved ones genuinely hope it were true - that I keep my calm in all circumstances. Unless, of course, I am late and stuck in traffic. Suddenly, I am ready to murder every old woman trundling along in her Honda Civic (OWTAIHC). And don't get me started about teenagers in their speced-up black Vauxhall Corsas (TISUBVC).

Until today, however, I thought this sort of combustive rage can only be experienced whilst driving. Not so. I was heading up to the top of Highgate hill about to cross a zebra crossing when a TISUBVC decided he should ignore the crossing and continue into the round-about. Huffing and puffing as I was, I expressed my surprise. Usually when this happens drivers stop and wave their apology. Not the TISUBVC. He decided to accelerate, almost running me over. Within milliseconds I saw red and ran after the bastard gesturing my dismay. He must be a proficient lip-reader, since his reaction showed he could tell I mentioned things he may have done to his mum. You see, he started chasing me in his BVC up a series of round-abouts, almost crashing into an OWTAIHC.

Naturally, I was ready for the pursuing fist-fight. Actually looking forward to it. Without fail the little shit stopped his car across the pavement, blocking my way. He jumped out brandishing a knife. Luckily I managed to grab a big stick from the bushes and knocked him on the head. He fell unconscious. I ran away as quickly as I could, the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

No. Not really. Unfortunately the little shit gave up and drove away. How fortunate was I?

PS 280km down 720km to go. Hope to reach 300km this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment